Careers with Dlala Studios
Whilst we aren’t ever looking to get too big, through fear of losing our family feel, we are always interested in meeting twisted individuals, just like ourselves, who are passionate about making games.
We may be a small studio hidden away in Essex (not really that hidden actually – we are just 40 minutes by train from London), but we have already worked with some of the biggest companies in the world; creating games with partners such as Disney, Microsoft and the Institute for Creative Technologies.
As a studio, we are completely staff-driven, offering competitive salaries, flexibility and perks for all team members.
We believe in everyone having a voice in the company and that all ideas are valid, no matter where they come from. So, if you are an open-minded person (who doesn’t mind bad language), and want to create awesome games, with awesome people, we would love to hear from you.
As a Game Designer at Dlala Studios, you will be an integral part of a small core team of designers. You will be responsible for the creation of game design documentation and associated communication and/or distribution of the same to all departments. You will be involved all in all aspects of design, from systems to level building, and will fully contribute to the complete production process.
This role is very hands-on and you will be working directly in Unity – associated tasks will include:
- Whiteblocking levels
- Editing scripts
- Tweaking variables
- Editing/Iterating/Creating behaviours of game objects
- Working directly with the Tech Department on prototyping and implementing features and mechanics
You will be expected to deliver and communicate the vision of the Creative Director, collect and analyse the feedback of the team and of external players. You will be responsible for planning, leading and analysing user testing sessions and the subsequent collation of information to feedback to the Creative Director. You will work closely with the Production Department on the creation and delivery of project roadmap and will be actively involved in the sprint planning and implementation for the Design Department.
We are looking for a passionate and experienced individual with a strong and dedicated work ethic, who is looking to take the next step in their game design career. You will be a leading creative force within the studio, who combines their passion and extreme creativity with the ability to apply logic and communicate well across departments. You will be a strong team player but will also be a talented independent worker, requiring minimal supervision. Strong verbal and written communication skills are also essential for this role.
Core Skills & Experience
- Demonstrable passion for games and game design as a career
- At a minimum, one shipped title (preferably on Console/PC for a core audience)
- Experience with 3rd party game engines (preferably Unity)
- Strong verbal, visual and written communication skills
- Ability to work directly with a Creative Director to translate their vision into actionable tasks and content
- Strong organisational skills; including ability to multi-task, work to deadlines, plan and prioritise own workload and the work of others
- Incredible attention to detail, quality-focused and player-centric
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team
- Confidence in being a creative lead within a company
Work Location: Witham, Essex