So…

There are some things you don’t really think you’ll ever get the chance to type.

Yesterday, Sunday June 10th 2018, at Microsoft’s E3 Briefing our reveal teaser was shown for Battletoads. Words cannot do justice to the amount of pride I feel for my team right now. This is a project that has come together through the passion and hard work of the women and men of Dlala. This is a game we’ve wanted to make for a long time and that is being made with love.

The reaction has been overwhelming. I was terrified before we went live that no-one would react to the teaser in the room, or that we would get torn apart afterwards. Everyone has been so incredibly supportive and open to giving us a chance, and it genuinely means the world to me.

I promise each and every one of you reading that we will give our all to this project and make it something that we can all be proud of.

For those of you interested we have some positions open to join the existing Battletoads team HERE.

I’ve dropped the teaser below:

Thank you to everyone that helped us get here and thank you to everyone showing love for BT.

We can’t wait for you to all see Zitz, Rash and Pimple in action.

Thanks,

Aj

18 thoughts on “So…”

• June 12, 2018 at 6:05 pm francesco says:

good luck for this adventure!!
    i love Battletoads, hope for a great game.

• June 13, 2018 at 10:30 am Kirill says:

Really like the game. Thank you for the continuation. I would like to listen to the whole melody from the release)) Thanks

• June 13, 2018 at 4:19 pm Max says:

We hope that the new game will be as diverse and challenging as on NES (that’s why we love it). Thank you and good luck in creating a great game

• June 21, 2018 at 8:25 pm WarpZone says:

We are a Brazilian magazine about retrogames and we love Battletoads, when we saw the trailer of a new game being developed we went crazy. Hoping that the difficulty, quality and fun factor of the original game will be present in this new release. WarpZone can give you all the support to promote the game in Brazil if you want. Success.

• October 11, 2018 at 7:02 am Uzyol says:

Battletoads My BEST childhood game on NES. Buttletoads was the most difficult game on NES. I hope that the game will also be very complicated and diverse levels. Good luck in development!!!

• October 11, 2018 at 7:04 am Uzyol says:

Battletoads My best childhood game at NES. Buttletoads was the most difficult game on NES. I hope that the game will also be very complicated and diverse levels. Good luck in your development!!!

• March 5, 2019 at 11:12 pm Richard says:

Is Battletoads dead?

• May 4, 2019 at 12:12 am Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso says:

Hey, please make sure the Dark Queen’s trash-talk is still there. That was a great touch in the original game! I compiled the list of insults from the original game to keep you guys motivated:

The Dark Queen insults Professor T. Bird:

Unpleasant surprise
    Wartheads x2
    Wartbodies
    Wartybottoms
    Wartfeatures
    Your green hides

The Dark Queen calls the Battletoads by their proper name only once: after you defeat her, she might say “I hate you Battletoads!” in one of her ending dialogues.

Please keep the Dark Queen’s trash-talk!

• May 4, 2019 at 6:57 pm Senna says:

same. where is the toads? any updates?

• June 5, 2019 at 2:02 pm Fabrice says:

Will Battletoads be available in French?

• June 10, 2019 at 4:16 am Dick says:

Umm .. that art style forBattletoads was seriously a poor choice. What’s up with that Cartoon Network looking bullshit? Really guys?

• June 11, 2019 at 11:36 am Rash says:

That is seriously horrible… what have you done…

• June 12, 2019 at 1:38 am A former Battletoads fan says:

The art looks like shit. You have ruined Battletoads.

• June 15, 2019 at 6:26 pm SS says:

Saw the e3 trailer combat looks great but the colors needs to be more on par with arcade Battletoads. Darker setting! That’s what made Battletoads more hardcore than tmnt or other beat em ups. Thanks for listening.

• June 24, 2019 at 7:42 pm h0ngE says:

First of all, I’m loving the battletoads games and thank you for making a new game.

But to be honest, I’m not very happy with the art style and my biggest concern at the moment is losing track in fight (especially in 3-player co-op).
    Somehow there has to be more contrast between toads and enemies.

Thank you. I’m looking forward to the new battletoads game and hopefully there will be a release for PC (or even better for Nintendo Switch) besides XBox One someday.

• August 1, 2019 at 5:49 am Whoiswho says:

Are you really fucked there????? Redo this Nickelodeon fucking shit!!!!!

• August 1, 2019 at 7:01 am Gameman says:

This game is a spit in the face of battletoads fans!

• September 6, 2019 at 2:40 pm BlueDragonKaiser says:

Hi there. I have some feedback I’d like to give about the new Battletoads. This revival is very important to me and I hope you take what I have to say into consideration to make it the best game it could possibly be. First off, I like the new art style and the artists did a great job with the animations and making the toads stand out from each other. My only complaint is that Dark Queen looks too generic compared to the toads and everyone else so far.

Her original design while more sexually provocative (which isn’t a bad thing in any way mind you) had an intimidating vibe that made it known that she was the main villain of the series. Her redesign doesn’t give off that same feeling as opposed to “villain of the day from X modern cartoon series.” It’s probably too late in the development cycle to improve her design assuming you’re willing to, but I just wanted you to be aware of my feelings towards her. She is the main antagonist after all, so she should look the part.

My next concern is the gameplay. The combat is standard Battletoads fare but it feels lacking and unpolished in certain areas. For one thing, the toads move way too slow and I realize that might be because it’s more beat ’em-up focused, but what made the original games fun was the combination of that as well as fast-paced platforming. Everything also feels too zoomed in making it hard to see where your enemy’s hitbox should be causing it to feel like your attacks don’t make contact at all. Battles feel like they drag on for way too long as you have to wait for your enemy to get up whereas in the original games you could keep fighting almost non-stop depending on how good your combos were.

There also appears to be a lack of handheld weapons to pick up from your enemies. I realize that the game is still in development and all this could potentially change but with a 2019 release window it’s better you all know my concerns sooner rather than later. I’m aware that you can’t please everyone and that you might not even be able to fix everything I mentioned but it’s still worth voicing my opinion as a fan of this series who wants to see it return with positive reception and pave the way for possible future titles. Thank you for your time.

P.S: Original designs as unlockable skins please. =)